Monday, October 26, 2009

I feel a little like Peter today..

Peter the Friend of Jesus who wanted so very much to trust Jesus to Believe Jesus but his flesh always got in the way.

I feel like Peter today and well truth be known alot of days. I feel like Peter standing on the egde of the boat one foot in the boat and the other ready to touch the waters below.
Matthew 14:22-31 We read this story of Jesus and Peter. 25 During the fourth watch of the night Jesus went out to them, walking on the lake. 26When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified. "It's a ghost," they said, and cried out in fear. 27But Jesus immediately said to them: "Take courage! It is I. Don't be afraid." 28"Lord, if it's you," Peter replied, "tell me to come to you on the water." 29"Come," he said. Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. 3 0But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, "Lord, save me!" 31 Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. "You of little faith," he said, "why did you doubt?"

Doubt is a funny thing.. You can say to your self and others you have no doubt that God is who he says he is but when you like Peter have one foot in the boat and the other one half in the water doubt comes. Who was it that Peter Doubted? Himself? No because he knew he was not able to walk on water before this night what would have changed? He was just a fishermen. That it was reallyJesus out on the water? I think that before he got out of the boat he doubted it was Jesus voice he was hearing.. Verse 28 says "And Peter answered Him, Lord, if it is You, command me to come to You on the water"

We are so much like Peter in that way.. If thats you Lord talking to me then command me to step out in faith! Do something I have never done before! Tell me that is you i am hearing and not myself!Give me a sign! There is no need for faith when we have a sign that it is the right thing to do. But what happen after Peter knew it was Jesus? What happen when his feet hit the water and he begin to walk on water! Something he knew he was not able to do! A leap of Faith! He stank..... What happen that made Peter sink? Verse 30 says But when he perceived and felt the strong wind, he was frightened, and as he began to sink, he cried out, Lord, save me [from death]! Peter looked at what was going on around him and not at Jesus. I don't think Peter doubted Jesus because he asked him to save him. So this tells me that Peter did not doubt who Jesus was or what he was able to do but rather what Peter was able to do with him. He did not trust Jesus to enable him to walk on water.. To Do the thing he had never thought possbile before. I have felt a little like Peter on the boat out in the middle of the water in the dark. One foot on the boat the other just about to touch the water.. I am sure Peters thoughts were like mine.. Can i do this? This thing that I never dreamed Possbile? A pharse has been in my Spirit all week.. Trust me I am able to do all things.

The thing Peter and I forgot were that it is us that are not able to do anything.. It is he that is in us that is greater then anything in the world. We are made able to do all things thur him.

I go back once again to John 15 verse 7 "If you remain in me and follow my teachings, you can ask anything you want, and it will be given to you."

Ok feet out of the boat... Listening to your voice.. What next?

No comments: